Monday, April 8, 2013

8 April 2013

Hey Hey Hey!

What a crazy week! I feel like one of the Nephites from 3 Nephi when Christ visits and teaches the people of the Americas. They could only handle so much correction, reflection, and teaching. This week started off with a trip to Manchester for a training meeting that just blew my mind. Then we went right to an exchange with the zone leaders which taught me even more. Then we capped off the week with 10 hours of conference filled with revelation and insights. I was waiting for someone to tell me to take a day off to rest and reflect on what had been taught, but no such direction was given.

One of the greatest insights I received was, "In order to make a difference in the world around you, you must first make a change in yourself." Much too often I seek for ways to change my environment, or the people around me to fit my perception of the world and how it should be. But the gospel is meant to change the heart and nature of the man which in turn changes his environment for the better. A lot of times we can make the change by being more obedient, serving more and just plainly doing more. But we must also become something more if we are to make a complete change and the way to do so is taught by (my favorite man) King Benjamin. We are taught to put off the natural man and become a saint through the atonement of Christ. A study from chapter 6 of Preach My Gospel shows us further the way to make this change. And for me it came in the form of Charity. Mormon (my other favorite) puts it so well in Moroni 7, that we must pray with all the energy of heart for that changing power of charity. More specifically I found that my change must come in my attitude. I need to be more optimistic by refraining from negative comments and thoughts. Imagine that! Me, a missionary, needs to stop having negative thoughts! But, don't missionaries just dream of ponies and scriptures all day long?? Well, ponies are nice, and ponytas are nicer but reality begs to differ. So I decided to have my companion call me out any time that I voice a negative thought or comment so I can have more charity. I just love conference takeaways! If you don't have any sweet takeaways then I challenge and admonish you to watch it again and look for some.

There wasn't too much normal proselytizing time here in Gardiner this past week but we did find out that Zack and Tawny (the cool DnDers) are moving in 2 weeks to Arkansas. It's very unfortunate but there's nothing we can do except refer them to the elders down there. Also, Josh is doing great! He couldn't watch conference because he was at his mom's house but we will get to see him this week which is awesome. I can't wait until he gets baptized and serves a mission. He'll be a great missionary, I can already tell.

So I didn't pull any April fool's day pranks but I did put my comps gummy vitamin on a mousetrap this morning. I thought I would get him for sure....but alas, he got away. Maybe next time I'll put it on the floor next to his bed so I get him as he gets up in the morning...Well I love you all and hope you had a great weekend. Remember...obedience brings blessings, but EXACT obedience brings miracles!

Elder Resendez

No comments:

Post a Comment