Wednesday, February 13, 2013

11 February 2013 - Happy Valentine's Day!

Ohana!

Man this week was soooooooo crazy! So I assume most of you heard about the storm (Nemo or something like that) that hit us. It dumped over 3 feet of snow all over the place! And when the plows push it to the side it makes like 5-6 feet of snow on the sidewalks! It's so crazy, and it's snowing again today... So we'll see how much more it snows. And despite all of the snow we still went out and worked as much as we could. We could still get to our appointments but it just took a lot longer to walk there, plus it was dangerous because we could only walk on the roads which were super narrow. But the plows didn't chop off my legs like I thought there were going to many times so I'm fine! My only question now is, how long does it take for 5 feet of snow to melt? Because I imagine it takes a long time.

We also had zone conference this week up in Maine, dreaded Maine... The main focus of the conference was the Book of Mormon and how we need to use it in all that we do. It was cool because Elder Christensen turned to me and asked, "Why are we learning this? Don't we already do this stuff?" I had to chastise him to humility but it did feel good to know that we are appreciating the power of the Book of Mormon in the process of conversion. So zone conference was pretty fun for us even though we couldn't find anyone to take us 2 hours into maine until the night before the conference. That was a little stressful but we made it so it's all good.

Also! Now Mom, this is the part of my letter that you skip and never read or wonder about haha. So this past week I went to Methuen on exchange with another missionary and our day started of sweet! We were finding new people for them to teach and things were really rolling until about 3 pm..... So at 3 we went to contact a former in a building inside the city of Lawrence. So we found the building, parked on the side of the street and walked in. We met the lady, set up a return appt, helped a guy in the stairs carry his stuff up and got an appt with him. So basically we were on cloud 9 when we returned to the car. So we get to the car, I open the back door and toss my
bag in the backseat and shut the door. As I shut the door I hear glass shatter on the ground. I looked over at the window to my seat and there's a giant hole in it! There was shattered glass all over the place, especially on my seat (thanks a lot, now where am I going to sit?) and the gps and stuff was totally gone! No, it wasn't my gps that was stolen, I still have mine. But it did belong to the missionary who took my spot in Lawrence during the exchange so he didn't even know that it was stolen until we
called him and told him. We felt so bad that it got stolen but we didn't do anything wrong. We put the gps in the middle console but the person just broke the glass and grabbed all of the gps stuff. We were seriously gone for 10 minutes, we had parked within sight of the Lawrence Police Dept., and it was 3 in the afternoon and our car got jacked haha. I couldn't believe it. We had to file a report with the police and they told us that it was probably a cocaine addict who saw us park and just jumped on the opportunity. I talked with some people in the area and found out that I could probably find the gps again but it would be in a store being sold for twice as much as normal. Crazy people! So that was a pretty fun experience haha. Like I said, I had a crazy week.

I hope you all enjoy the pictures! We're all nervous over here because transfer calls are this saturday so we'll see what happens. Also, because of the change in mission president we are having a 5 week transfer (a normal transfer is 6 weeks fyi) in March, so this next transfer we lose a week in the transfer. So I guess everyone in the mission will lose a week from their mission which means that instead of finishing my mission Dec 7 I will finish like 2-3 days after thanksgiving. I have also heard from many people that if a missionary goes home close to a major holiday like that the pres sends them home before. So I know this is a long ways away but we just found out about it so I thought I'd let you all know. And don't worry, I don't think about this at all but I just remembered and thought it might be important to tell you so I don't end up like the guy off of The RM. Who gets home and everyone and freaks out because they think he came home early. So just an fyi, a lot depends on the new mission pres so I'll let you know what's going to happen by the end of the year!

I love you all! Keep up the great work! I'll write on our investigators next week, I just had so much other stuff to tell you that I ran out of time! Ciao!

Elder Ty Resendez

P.S. Elder Dorantes and Elder Cordova said that my spanish (from 1-10) is a 7, so that was pretty cool. Hopefully it will be a 10 by the time I get home! I never thought I'd be able to say I learned spanish, especially in 6 months...crazy stuff!

No comments:

Post a Comment