Monday, October 15, 2012

15 October 2012

Aloha!

Happy almost Halloween!!! It's fall over here in New England and it's beautiful! I think fall here is my favorite season of all, the leaves and trees and decorations make you really feel like it's autumn.

So this week we had a lot of awesome things happen like Lorreny's confirmation. She was stoked for that and is still staying strong as a member. Her mom is a member but is "returning" so she's not fully active. It's kinda cool to say that we baptized someone from another mission, haha take that Lowell Elders! Lawrence-1 Lowell-0. So that was awesome and to cap it off we had a "standards night" last night for the youth and Lorreny gave testimony a bunch of times on different standards. Our bishop was even bragging about her to the stake youth leaders during the meeting, it was so funny.

Now the next person up to bat is Norma and her husband DJ. Norma has been investigating for many years now but because of various problems (health, desire, etc.) she has yet to be baptized. But she has now come back to church and is ready more than ever to fully make the covenant of baptism. Her date is set for Nov 3 but she may make it before that date if we all pray hard enough! So pray for her! Haha we're very excited for the growth that this ward has seen lately and we hope to keep it going!

Oh, and we got transfer calls two nights ago and if I haven't made it obvious yet, I'M STAYING IN LAWRENCE!!! I'm getting another 6 weeks here which I'm stoked for. Oh yeah, and I'm training! I'm getting a son (another one if you count E. Morgan, which I kind of do) tomorrow so I'm hyped for that. The only problem is that Pres Wilkey has really been cracking down as of late on a lot of things so I'm going to have to step it up big time. It's not that I'm a bad missionary, it's just that when you get more responsibility, President gets on your case a lot more. And I like Prez so I don't want to make him mad, he's like the Hulk. So I will let you all know more details when I get them so stay tuned. Oh, and I think my new comp is E. Christensen from Hawaii, don't ask me how I know that cuz I'd have to kill you if I told you. So we'll see if I'm correct...Anyways...

Question Time!

Have you had any food that you haven't had before?

-Yes! A bunch of food. In fact we just had tripleta this morning. It's super good and it's food from the DR. I'm not sure how to spell it all but basically I had Salami (fried), eggs (fried), queso frito, mango (squashed plantain), avena (like oatmeal), and ham and cheese empanadas. I've also had sancocho and various other hispanic dishes. I love them all! Oh, and I had tres leches this past week and it's now one of my favorite desserts. I can't get enough of it! It reminds me of when I had it in CR and almost threw up haha.

What would you be for Halloween if you weren't on a mission?

-Hmmm......probably a luchador. Those guys are my heroes so I would get my mask and stretchy pants. In fact, I'd make a luchador/superhero combo and hit up the local trunk or treat spots.

Any big news for us?

-I'm training! (Yes Mal, that was the big news I couldn't talk about. It wasn't set before so I didn't want to jynx it.) And I think E. Rodriguez is coming back to be E. Kinyon's comp.

What do you want for Christmas?

-Hmmm......I need more time! Watches are pretty cool. Or a nice peacoat or something. I don't know, missionary life is so weird it's hard to say what I want vs. what I need or can carry. I'll give more deats later.

What do you eat in a typical day?

-Morning: apple & bananas. Lunch: Yogurt or beans or peppers or all. Dinner: Hispanic food from a member or sometimes more yogurt. It's a really bland diet but it keeps me going haha.

Is there anything you miss from Arizona that you can't get in Lawrence?

-Pineapple Empanadas! Oh wait, I was supposed to say my family right?

How are your clothes? What do you need?

-They're alright, sometimes I look like a bum but that's ok. I'm looking for black pants right now, nothing fancy just something comfy and cheap.

How do you do laundry?

-We pay to use our landlord's washer and dryer. It's a total ripoff but whatever, it's convenient. Kinda.

How big is the ward?

-Hmmm.....I'd say over 300 members but only around 100 are active. It's still a very new ward. They were a branch just a few years ago.

What is the chapel like?

-We use the same one as the Methuen ward so it's very nice. But we are trying to get a chapel here in lawrence by fixing up an old catholic church or something like that. So pray that we get it approved!

Where is the nearest temple?

-Boston! It's like 30 minutes away, but I'll never go there until the end of my mission...

Who do you miss the most? You can be honest. Mom can handle it. I know it's me.

-Ummm....definitely Cohen. I miss pinching his cute little cheeks! Speaking of which, get on a mission ya hoser!

If you had to choose, would you rather be super strong or super fast?

-Strong! We all know the story of the tortoise and the hare, I think that says it all right there.

What is the best and the worst food you've tried for the first time on your mission?

-Best: A toss up between queso frito and tres leches. Worst: chicharron. I hate that stuff haha

What is the most embarrassing thing that has happened to you on your mission?

-Hmmm....I'll think about that one and get back to you. Right now all I can think of is when I fell off my bike but nobody saw me so it wasn't embarrassing.

Seth wants to know what is your favorite kind of pie?

-Pumpkin all the way! Just make sure there's whip cream. Or whipped cream.

What is your companion's halloween costume?

-Not sure yet...We'll see. Maybe we'll all be mariachis. That'd be sick!

What is your companion's name?

-E. Kinyon for one more day. Then I get my shoobie!

Alright that's all folks! Catch ya on the flip side!

Elder Resendez

No comments:

Post a Comment