Thursday, August 23, 2012

13 August 2012

Aloha!

This week has been pretty busy so I will try to cram it all in! On Tuesday we had a specialized zone meeting in Exeter so we got to hear from President and Sister Wilkey again which is always sweet! They talked about the importance of member present lessons. They shared Alma 31:5 with us and said that the word of God will not only affect those we teach but the members we bring. It will inspire them to serve their callings more faithfullly, to do more missionary work, to read the scriptures on a daily basis, and much more. All of this comes from bringing them to a lesson and involving them in the process of conversion. And guess what...it works!

We took two members out last week and after the lesson they were going back and forth about the lesson. They were all amped up and ready to do some sweet missionary work!

We also had a surprise visit at church from President Wilkey and some of his family. They had picked up their daughter and her family from the airport and wanted to come to church so ours was the closest. So we had to scramble around to find an interpreter and the headphones so they could understand. It was pretty fun and they had a great time. Unfortunately none of our investigators came to church. That would have been an amazing experience for them to meet President Wilkey. But I guess we just gotta work twice as hard this week!

I think my favorite non-spiritual part of being a missionary is the privilege you have of meeting different people. Whenever you knock on a door you never know what you're going to get. It's always a surprise. This week we contacted a potential investigator and her 18 and 19 year old sons answered it. They were clearly high as a kite and so we had a pretty entertaining conversation with them. One guy seemed slightly interested, obviously for another time, but his brother kept telling him we were from the government there to control his mind. Then their friend came out onto the porch and the 18 year old brother started yelling at him to get off of his porch. He would switch from asking us gospel questions to yelling at his friend to get off his porch. It was probably the funniest experience yet, I literally felt like I was watching a movie. I have to admit that once I knew they were high I messed with them a little bit. Not much, just enough to make it worth our time haha. I know, I'm a bad missionary.

We also taught this other potential who sees ghosts and junk. I'm pretty sure he was lying and is slightly mentally handicapped but he told us about 5 or 6 different ghost stories during our 30 minute lesson. Everytime I would talk to him he would look at me, but when he did that he would see a man sitting in a chair in the corner of his eye. So when he saw the man he would whip his head to the side to try to catch the man. Then he would freak out that his mom's rocking chair was swinging when it wasn't. He was freaked out but he was also laughing at the same time. I decided that since we were missionaries we should help him out. So I asked him if he had a vaccuum that I could put on my back. I told him I would be a ghostbuster and get rid of all the ghosts in his place, but unfortunately he didn't have a vaccuum so I told him he was on his own. He was super funny and nice but not interested in our message so we probably won't stop by again. But I'll never forget those two encounters.

Now that I've said most of the funny stuff, here's the spiritual side! I don't know if I told you but the guy in Manchester that I was teaching about 3 months ago got baptized! His name is Ken and I found him just walking on the street. We taught him for a while and gave him a baptismal date but then 2 weeks later I was ETed out of there and missed his baptism....But Elders Rodriguez and Morgan were there so I got to see all of the pictures!

It was such a good feeling to see how he had progressed. I'll try to get some pictures for you all. I especially love Ken's story because E. Rodriguez was wanting to drop him but I could tell that there was more potential so I convinced him to keep teaching Ken. Then about a month and a half later he was baptized! It makes me happy to look back and see how reacting to promptings really is the best way. Not to say E. Rodriguez isn't prompted, the Holy Ghost just talks to both of us and most of the time my comp hears it but that time I heard it and it paid off. So I am still stoked about that!

Two more things, HAPPY BIRTHDAY DAD! I think I forgot to say that so it's about time I showed some love. Also, have any of you seen the hispanic scripture cases? They are bright colors and have patterns and designs on them. Well, everyone has them here and they're super legit so someone needs to tell me how I can get my hands on a pair of those! Thanks for everything! Write me when you can!

Love,
Elder Resendez

P.S. You know how the Manchvegas apartment was super disgusting? Well when E. Rodriguez and E. Morgan left it the other missionaries complained so those two had to go back last p day to clean it up for 3 hours haha I got away scotch free! (Scotch free is a saying right?)

P.P.S. Sorry for the lack of pics, I'll get some next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment