Monday, May 14, 2012

HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY!!!

Happy Mother's Day!

I want to begin by admitting that I'm a bad son. I realized after I hung up the phone last night that I failed to tell you (mom) and Mal happy mother's day. It's Mal's first one and I totally spaced it. Oh, well...

Well I don't have much time today because of some lame stuff but I will write as long as I can. This week the biggest miracle was setting a baptismal date with Ralph!! We committed him to June 27 and he accepted! I was so excited when he said yes! We gave him June 27 so that it was far enough away to help him feel comfortable but we plan on moving it up once he is ready. He's doing so awesome and told us that he prayed to know if these things are true and he feels that he received his answer! Haitians all the way!

So last week was stake conference over here and we had the privilege of hearing two members of the Seventy speak. One was Elder Gordon Smith from Oregon and he totally blew it out of the water! He was awesome! I also had the privilege of meeting Missionary Frank. Missionary Frank is the best! He's this guy up in Concord and he has some disabilities but he's soooo funny! He looks kind of like the turtle guy from Master of Disguise and he is really short. He also claims to be President Monson's personal secretary which means that he has to check up on all of the missionaries he meets. He has to make sure they're keeping the commandments. When I met him the first thing he said was, "Elder, are you being obedient?" I laughed and said yes and he said, "Good. (Then pointing to my Zone Leader) This guy is a bad missionary. He doesn't preach the gospel, he's too busy running around chasing the girls!" I just laughed and told him that he needs to keep the zone leaders in shape. He agreed and told me about his standing as President Monson's secretary. Then the meeting began to start so I couldn't talk longer but I'm going to Concord on exchange soon so I hope to see him again. I also hear that he has made up a song for the missionaries and sings it for them. I'm going to do my best to get that song on my camera for all of you to hear!

This week we taught one of our gators with a baptismal date named Ken. And as we were teaching him (outside in the yard by his apartment building) this guy dressed as a woman walks over to a nearby bench and sits down. I forget what it's called when guys do that but this guy was definitely trying to be a woman. Well I just did my best to pay attention to the lesson (especially since I was leading it) and kept teaching. The entire time I'm teaching this guy is puffing on his pipe and he is positioned just to the side of my gators head which makes it difficult to not notice. He smoked that thing so hard that he had to fill it with tobacco every 2 minutes. It was pretty distracting and I kept glancing over at him every time he refilled it. He was wearing a dress, tennis shoes, glasses, and a gardening hat and for some reason he also kept tying his shoes. The problem was that he would lift his foot up on the bench to tie his shoes and his dress kept going up nearly to his hip. But wait, there's more. Then he stands up and starts doing push ups on the ground while facing away from us which means that our view of him is quite pleasant. It was so hard not to laugh the entire time because I couldn't look away at all. I just had to keep teaching the lesson as best as I could. Then after his push ups the guy gets up and pulls out his pipe again. He also pulls out a second pipe! So now he's puffing on two pipes after having done some push ups. Talk about distracting! Well we finish up the lesson and as soon as we say the closing prayer, the guy takes off. He was totally there to mess with us! Don't tell me that there isn't opposition in all things! But it made for some pretty good laughs later on and the lesson went really well so he didn't get to us!

So to end on a more spiritual note....I have told some of you how awesome President Wilkey is but I thought I would prove it to you. During transfer meeting he was about to give his spiritual thought but decided to take a different course. He asked a recent convert woman to come up and share her testimony with us. It was super awesome and we all felt the Spirit. Then he proceeded to ask another woman to come up and share her testimony with us. It turns out that this woman isn't a member but is rather a "eternigator" that knows the Wilkey's. She came up, quite hesitantly, and bore her testimony on how our diligence really does pay off and how we need to stick with people as long as we can. During her testimony she began to cry a little but afterwards President WIlkey got up with her and began to share her story. Then he asked her, "Kelly, I know you know that this is true." To which she responded in the affirmative. Then he said, with tears in his eyes, "Kelly, will you accept the Savior's invitation and be baptized by someone holding the priesthood authority of God?" SHE SAID YES!!! Last night I just heard that she now has a date set and is super excited for it! President Wilkey is the man! Or, el es un tigre! He is so incredible, I love being here in Manchester where I can see him often. We all need to be more like him and follow our Savior Jesus Christ as much as possible.

I love you all and wish you the best. Please pray for Ralph! He's sooo close!

Nos Vemos!
Elder Resendez

No comments:

Post a Comment