Monday, January 30, 2012

Week 6 of First Transfer!

Hey!

I hope things are going well in Arizona and that it isn't too hot for you guys down there! It's been pretty warm the last couple of days which is weird. Everyone tells us that we are having a lucky winter and I believe them! This week has been a little rough, we have zero baptismal dates but are really working hard on some promising people. I have found that the hardest part of missionary work is finding people at home and in a position where they can talk. It's especially hard if they don't speak Spanish or English or when we are on foot. So we are really having to plan our time wisely so we can minimize our travel time.

This week we did walk to church again but it wasn't nearly as cold as last week. We heard that we might get a car full-time in a week or two but who knows? We were on bikes most of the time this week which was rough because I'm not bicycle-compatible. I had my first wreck on a bike which was kinda fun. I was riding on the sidewalk and I saw a patch of ice coming up and thought I would be fine to go over it because I had done it before. What I didn't notice was how big the patch was, it was about a quarter of a block long and there was no way that I was going to last that long. I made it about halfway across the ice until my back tire slid out to the side. I fell down and quickly looked around to see if anyone was laughing at me. Thankfully nobody was around so I got up and kept going.

So how are things back home? How is Stephen doing? Is he in the manual chair yet? Please let me know how he's doing! I have a bunch of people to write back, like Brother West (Go Cowboys!), and I should have time this week and next week to do that. That's great that Sister West is doing well. Wish her the best for me! I usually can only get about 3 letters done each week so I apologize again if it takes a while. But I LOVE the letters so keep them coming!

So how is the ward? Is Bishop Becker still the bishop? Our bishop is about to change sometime soon but we have no idea who the new bishop will be. It's kind of a cool story, the senior missionaries (the Franklin's) are the parents of the bishop in our ward. So like a quarter of the ward is either the Franklin family or missionaries. So I hear some missionaries were caught snoozing in church? Somebody should kick them and tell them to shape up or to go home haha that should get them awake. But I imagine they have multiple sacrament meetings to attend so it must be difficult.

So this is the last week of my first transfer and I can't believe it has gone by so quickly! It feels like I just got off the plane at the airport just yesterday! I think I will stay here in Manchester with Elder Smith for at least another transfer but who knows, weirder things have happened. I'm working on my Spanish but it's hard to find time to study during the day to keep it fresh in my mind. Mom, please please! Send me the Spanish missionary phrase book! It is red with black spiral binding and should be on sale at the byu bookstore. That would be THE GREATEST! It is so helpful but I don't want to hog Elder Smith's so I could really use that.

Well I am running out of time but I want you all to know that I'm doing great and I'm loving it here in Manchester! Mom, don't be afraid to post the tough times because I don't want people to think a mission is easy, it's not. But the tough times are what help us grow and improve so they are necessary!

Remember, missionaries are there to help the ward do the missionary work. It isn't the other way around so do your best to find people for the missionaries to teach! It really helps the area catch on fire when the members are excited about the work. Have a great week and I'll see you on the other side!

Elder Resendez

No comments:

Post a Comment